Thursday

Nature's Packaging


My kids eat snacks during the day, and my goal is for what they eat to count for something significant in their bodies.  I want them to enjoy it and know why it is good for them.  I try to stay as homemade as I can.  Prepackaged snacks often times have lots of artificial ingredients and fillers to increase their taste and shelf life.  Seriously, a package of goldfish or graham crackers is going to taste the same 5 years from now! That should speak volumes to us and stop us for a minute to consider what is in that "food like substance" as Michael Pollan calls them, that allows it to remain the same so long.  I like to reduce their exposure to prepackaged snacks to occasionally.

Today, we limited our partaking of prepackaged snacks and helped the environment by eating fresh tangerines.  The kids love pealing them by themselves,and the taste is unbeatable!  They are packed with vitamins and minerals that are bioavailable - ready to be absorbed into their bodies and get to work!

Now, I cannot change the shelf life very much of the snack we had today, but I can guarantee that the packaging is perfectly designed to go back into the ground and create new life after it decomposes!   And, the effect of what is inside the snack will beat anything you can buy in a man-made package!  We can thank our Creator, God, for creating the first snacks for on the go- perfectly packaged!