Monday

Veggie Chili


Ingredients:
16 ounces black beans - cooked
16 ounces red beans - cooked
16 ounces pinto beans - cooked
32 ounces tomatoes (I used ones I had canned this summer)
8 ounces tomato paste
1 package of Quorn cumbles (meat substitute)
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 large onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp oregano
1 T basil 
salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste

Combine all ingredients into a large stock pot.  Bring to a boil.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes.  

Tips - I soak and cook my beans.  It is more cost effective, healthier, and more environmentally efficient  (without the cans to throw away!).  I typically cook a pot of beans every 10 days or so.  I freeze what we have leftover and use them later.  They are great to keep in the freezer to be used in recipes!

If you don't have one of these ingredients, substitute with something else!  Get creative!

No comments: